Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Year From Today...

... was my last post, and - with it - Granderson's signing.

I'll just get to it. The third annual Utopian Line-Up and Rotation. (The bullpen can and will wait. Maybe.)


Crawford RF
Jeter SS
Teixeria 1B
A-Rod 3B
Cano 2B
Posada DH
Montero C
Granderson CF
Gardner LF

Sabathia LHP
Greinke RHP
Lee LHP
Hughes RHP
Burnett RHP

(Yeah... this is with Andy retiring. And I know we won't get Greinke. But - that's why this is the UTOPIAN line-up and bullpen.)

I first had Gardner leading off, but I think Crawford makes more sense. Plus, you put Brett as your number nine hitter... and you're getting good OBP leading into the top of the line-up. Grandy and Jesus could switch, I suppose. I just like putting the speed at the bottom of the line-up. But Grandy's power to the short porch might be good coming right after Jorge.

Youth. Experience. Bucket loads of speed and power. Goodness.
And a rotation where Cliff Lee is your #3 guy? (Only because you want to break up the left-handers, but... still. I get chills when I think I could watch at least 4/5 of this group. And I'll tell you... I think A.J. has a nice bounce-back year, with Rothchild giving him direction. Eiland had unfortunately (and yet obviously) lost the connection with him.

I like to think we could keep Kerry Wood, too. I know he wants closer money... but c'mon. This line-up? This rotation (even with say Andy and not Greinke)? Why wouldn't you go for a one-year deal as the 8th inning guy... kill it... get your ring... and then go right back on the market? If anyone doesn't think the organization would do that in a heartbeat after how he performed the last couple of months (despite the occasional hitting sprees he'd allow), you got another thing comin'.

First Lee. Then Carl. Then... well... then... we just take aim for Tampa and A-Go's new Boston home. Giddy up.

No comments: