Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The Usual Suspects

A post-deadline post!  A first
This would take a strategic flurry of moves unseen since Verbal Kint... but it ends up like...

LF Gardner
RF Judge
SS Gregorius
DH Stanton
CF Hicks
1B Bird
C Realmuto
3B Andujar
2B Torres

RHP Severino
RHP deGrom
RHP Tanaka
LHP Sabathia
RHP Gray

Chapman
Betances
Robertson
Britton
Green
Kahnle
Holder
Warren

Yes, it takes a toll on the depth in our farm system.
Yes, it means we lose Gary.  (Which, admittedly, I thought was an interesting idea before last night's game.)  By the way, I attribute the deGrom and Realmuto spin to Simonetti Source.  It was his theory. It has gained traction with me as I have continued to fantasize think about it.


And then, a new 2019 Utopian order...

SS Gregorius (29)
RF Judge (27)
3B Machado (26)
DH Stanton (29)
LF Harper (26)
2B Torres (22)
C Realmuto (28)
1B Bird (26)
CF Hicks (29)

RHP deGrom (30)
RHP Severino (24)
LHP Corbin (29)
LHP Sabathia (38)
RHP Tanaka (30)

Chapman (31)
Betances (31)
Robertson (34)
Britton (31)
Miller (34)
Green (28)
Kahnle (29)
Holder (25)

Yes that means we traded Gray and Andujar (both of which are painful, in my opinion) - and maybe even Frazier - for prospects to retool the farm.  (Or maybe they go for Realmuto and deGrom from this season.)

That?  That is a lineup with an average age under 27.  With seven All-Star's.  Look at that 2-6.  My.  Good.  Ness.

Rotation lineup average age is just over 30.  Remove CC, and the average age is two years younger.  With Sheffield on the way.  (In my ideal, we don't lose him in any of the aforementioned trades.  And then factor in who else came over with Gray / Andujar / etc.)

Bullpen average age is up there... a sliver over the rotation lineup average age.  30.  Huh.
I'll take a five year stretch with this as the root.  I shiver at the thought.  Makes me feel like I'm... orca fat.

And like that... ... I'm gone.

No comments: