Friday, November 24, 2017

I'm Staind...

... ... ... ... ... ... because it's been awhile.  (If you get it, and you're still reading... you obviously are a kindred spirit.  Shalom.)

Hard to argue with how this past year went, even if we didn't make it after being up 3-2. The stadium became The Stadium again in the postseason.  Some ghosts were revived.

We have youth and now some experience.  The biggest hope has to be that we don't become complacent in what happened last year.  While still maintaining the unique sense of fun and camaraderie that this team was able to sustain throughout the year.

The worst part?  There is so much potential and talent... I'm not entirely certain what a utopian line-up would be here.  How different would it be from what we have now?
The initial struggle comes right out of the gate.

Gardner (LF)
Ohtani (DH)
Judge (RF)
Sanchez (C)
Gregorius (SS)
Bird (1B)
Hicks (CF)
Headley (3B)
Castro (2B)


Severino RHP
Tanaka RHP
Ohtani RHP
Gray RHP
Sabathia LHP


I was not sure whether Gardner should be in on the utopian line-up.  Let me be clear: I respect and adore what Brett Gardner brings to this team.  His leadership has The Jeter Residual in it -- but he's casual enough where he can let his guard down.  Even and especially during the game.  He can be outward with his emotion, too.  He is the captain after The Captain.  There is no monetary value in that.  So he stays. In THIS version.

But that doesn't mean I am not greatly intrigued with a showy alternative.

Gregorius (SS)
Ohtani (DH)
Stanton (LF)
Judge (RF)
Sanchez (C)
Bird (1B)
Hicks (CF)
Headley (3B)
Castro (2B)


Severino RHP
Tanaka RHP
Ohtani RHP
Gray RHP
Sabathia LHP


I love Brett Gardner.  But can. you. imagine. facing. THIS. everyday as a pitcher?
I mean... I don't even know what you put up top. I had Headley there because he started and ended strong with getting on base, including the postseason.  I also would like to see Todd Frazier come back, but I just don't know how that's possible.  Then again, we get Stanton and the talk around getting under the luxury tax goes out the window.  Right?

This also would have to mean that we wouldn't go after Bryce next off-season.  How could we, right?  We would target Machado, and -- okay.  Don't go too far.  That's next year's post.
I can obviously see the value of getting under the luxury tax this year. As a set-up.  If there was a time to do it, it is this year.  Because next year, it's Full Court Press time.

Montgomery becomes a hybrid sixth guy as the plan with Ohtani DH'ing and pitching settles itself out.  And our bullpen stays intact.  Dellin course corrects in the offseason... or, worst case scenario, Cash decides that his value is as good as it is now and gets a younger, cheaper prospect.

Stanton can DH some days with Clint Frazier playing LF. And Gleyber comes up.  And... and... and...
As a fan of this team, I will say it... no, I won't.  I will not jinx this.  But... yeah.  I think it.  And I look forward come February.

No comments: